Wednesday, June 24, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things (clothing-wise, anyway)

With apologies to Julie Andrews, Rogers and Hammerstein....

When the alarm sounds, when the time's short, when I'm feeling sad(ly confused about what to wear), I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad(ly dressed)...

Big belts: my go-to solution to pull an outfit together.. Literally. I have a few big belts now: a couple obi styled ones (Kaj Ani, who was waaayy ahead of Marc Jacobs' obis for Louis Vuitton, and another suede one I picked up in the young designer's market on Elizabeth St.. Plus a great big black one from Ter et Bantine that is made out of quite thick, stiff leather, so I wear that one when I'm feeling thin and want good posture. I have another black one, but elastic, from Hache (when I'm feeling not as thin, or have more layers to deal with). I saw some black elastic belts at American Apparel, if you want to get one at a low cost. I talked my friend Maria into getting one in Miami. (Hope you like it, Maria!) And I added a dove gray one this year from Hache that looks really good with springier floaty layers. I wear them with everything - over cardigans with jeans so I don't look too much like I'm dressed for doing laundry, and to give blousy, volume-y dresses a slimmer silhouette, or to convert a dress into a tunic by hiking it up and draping it around the belt. Even my ski jacket has a belt. When I like something, I like something.. what can I say? Plus, it makes your waist look smaller. Or maybe it just stops you from eating much. But that also makes your waist look smaller..


High heels: pretty self explanatory this one, so will leave it short except to state the obvious: high heels make pretty much every outfit look better. As a side benefit, I also think that they are better for you than flats. I am currently working on my theory that high heels provide essential health benefits, along with hot peppers and alcohol. The experiments are going well, but inconclusive so far, so I will need to continue this study. Volunteers are welcome to join. I'm getting a little tired of big platforms, though. I like a little heft to some shoes - and a bit of platform does further distance your feet from city sidewalks, but the row of $800 stripper shoes (SALE PRICE!!) that I saw at Bergdorf Goodman and Saks just leaves me cold. Then again, maybe my eye/brain connection is a little bit off. I walked by a bakery this evening and saw that one of the giant cookies on display had I. O. U. in icing. Strange sentiment for a cookie, but one never knows nowadays... (it was I *heart* U, I realized later).


Jumpsuits: I don't agree with the "rule" that you shouldn't wear a style if you wore if the first time. Okay, some trends should never return, and I'm not going to wear pre-teen clothes again, but I felt incredibly cool and fashion forward when I wore my jumpsuit the first time around and I am enjoying their return. My friend Ann wrote about her experience with harem pants in New York and Paris (she stayed with me in NY and looked super cute and stylish in them!) and I think jumpsuits can be a bit similar. Some are definitely easier to wear than others. They are a strong statement - the look is very different from the low-rise skinny jeans that are still the current uniform - and fit is key. I have three now - I've worn the Sue Elen one a few times, it's easy as it's sort of a "cool girl casual" skinny cut. I just wore the long sleeved blouse/shorts jumpsuit, but haven't yet gone out in the harem-pants/plunge neckline yet (the last two both Ter et Bantine). But I'm looking forward to it!!


Structure: I guess this is sort of related to big belts, in terms of pulling things together. On hot summer days, especially on the beach, I do definitely like floaty and loose, but most of the time for work or going out, I prefer looking like I'm not an amorphous blob. And the nice thing about structured clothes is that you can hide some amorphous blobbiness if you wear something that's cut well. And I just think those clothes are beautiful. I'm not going to lie and say they're the most comfortable, but they do look good. And just think of the beautiful relief you'll feel when you're out of them! (same goes for heels, really, and big belts!) This dress is my Bottega Veneta sale find, by the way. Think it's appropriate for a wedding? It's not a good photo, but maybe you can see how it's constructed...?


I have more wardrobe favorites: boots, scarves, cardigans, the right jacket, shirtdresses, and layered necklaces, but I'll leave those for another time... How about you, stylish readers?

No comments:

Post a Comment