Saturday, December 19, 2009

Supersize Deluxe

Is the fashion industry trying to pull a frog in boiling water trick on us? I'd sort of suspected that prices were rising gradually over the past few years. I even remember a few years ago my friend Janice asking "remember when we thought that $800 was really expensive for a bag?" Well, $800 IS actually really expensive for a bag - but you are not going to find anything designer under $1,000 nowadays - even in a recession!! And probably not even on sale!!! What's going on here? Are they offering us more for our money? Prada, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and Hermes all have moved some of their manufacturing to China, India, and Mauritius where labor is cheaper, so what's the deal?

Well, in my unscientific study, surveying my own purchases made over the years, I can say: yes, they are offering us more. We're being supersized! Bags have noticeably grown bigger - what used to be my work bag size is now my going out bag size (bag on left)


















.. and has anyone noticed heel height? I think that they are rising in step with prices.

I picked a few shoes to illustrate this argument.. they are arranged in chronological order of purchase, from left to right. Amusingly, I had thought that shoes on the left (Sigerson Morrison sling backs) were the perfect pair of heels - today, I consider them flats! And, aside from the two strappy pairs, I purchased them with work wardrobe in mind (though I admit that the furthest right pair has occasionally defeated me and I now bring a back-up pair of shoes when I wear them.)






Where can we go from here? How much higher can we get? My nephew, Soren, told me over the summer that the pair of wedge heel sandals that I was wearing were heels not shoes, since they are 80% heel. Can we go to 90%? 95%??

Well, here's one suggestion for the next direction from my sister-in-law, Erika (and Soren's mom).. They're Alexander McQueen's "lobster claw" heels.



Prepare yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment