Thursday, January 7, 2010

No muss, no fuss

For New Year’s Eve plans, I have a rule: keep it as simple and flexible as possible... and my New Year’s Eve outfit follows a similar rule. With available taxis on New Year's Eve about as rare as unicorns, inevitably, I will have to walk home. And this year, with snow forecast to turn into slush, I gave it extra thought as there was no way I was wearing clompy flat boots to a party, nor was I going to destroy my heels walking home in the salty slush. I'd already learned the uneven layering trick for New York winters (flimsy layer for over-heated interiors, thick layer over that to keep you warm outside or if you're next to a drafty window). And this time, I needed to be able to make an easy change into snow boots. So, my solution? T-shirt/jacket/shorts/tights/boots (and a spare pair of snow boots in my bag).

And sure enough, while the streets were filled with cabs and the air resounded with honking, not a single available light was shining. But I was comfortable, my feet were warm and dry (as were my high heeled boots) so I really didn't care... As my colleague Sanne says, "there is no bad weather, only bad clothes". Too true.

A different challenge faced me on New Year's day when I woke up: I was tired, I was hungry, and all I wanted to do was to lounge in my pyjamas with tea or coffee.. but I had no milk. Or food. When I lived on 10th and Ave A a few years ago, I would go to the bodega in my pjs, boots and a coat, but I can’t really do that in the more civilized Greenwich Village and at an age when I really should know better (i.e., older than 8. I was older than 8 on 10th St too, of course, but chose to ignore that then.)

Plus in my additional experience in perfecting lazy weekend mornings, I have found how to dress with only slightly more effort than putting a coat and shoes on over pyjamas, but which creates the appearance that I actually am dressed for the day and can actually walk quite respectably a few blocks further from my sofa if the closest grocery store doesn't have what I want.


What's the trick? Bright lipstick and pulled back hair takes care of the grooming in 30 seconds, a dress and boots gets you covered (add leggings if it's cold)..grab your coat (or sweater and vest), your bag from last night, sunglasses, et voila! you are golden! A smile may be asking too much..

And Happy New Year's everybody!!

No comments:

Post a Comment