Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Maybe you can explain to me...

...because I just got the Bergdorf shoe catalog and I don't understand


$900 clogs

























$600 flip flops





















$650 flats






















Is this supposed to be inconspicuous consumption? The impact of the Great Recession on consumer behavior? We wear peasant shoes but pay kings' prices for them?

Now, I haven't worn clogs since I was 10 (when I was the height of sophistication in my Olaf Daughters clogs, knee socks, corduroy gauchos and cowl necked sweater) and am not going to start again now. But if I were, I'd go for Swedish Hasbeens or something like that. And surely for an unconstructed shoe with no support at all like the Manolo flip flop or Giuseppe Zanotti flats, there are cheaper options? I mean, you're not buying the latest shoe technology here..

Maybe I'm just a height-ist.. flats are second class shoes and should be lots cheaper than heels.

Anyone agree? Yes? No? Anyone buying the Chanel clogs? Or Swedish ones? Dutch ones?



Now THAT's a fashion statement!! :)


2 comments:

  1. I must admit to liking clogs -- Danish ones w/ a wooden heel & leather upper. And yes, these prices are just silly. Really. Unless those are jewel encrusted flats and the flip-flops have some kind of magical power . . . -Koni

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Swedish Hasbeens are $345 which I also think is ridiculous!! But they are cute. I wasn't allowed to have clogs when I was little bc I was very clutzy and had already broken my ankle. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete