Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mix and Match


I thought I'd do something a little different this time since my last few blogs have had more words than pictures and been more broadly about style. This time I thought I'd be a little more specific and a bit more personal.

I've mentioned before that wearing something that I like really does affect my mood and can cheer me up as I'm getting dressed for work. (I may also have mentioned before that I get dressed for work at the ungodly hour between 5-6am, so cheering myself up is no mean feat!) I get a kick out of mixing things up like you'd think they weren't supposed to be (such as wearing two different tweed patterns together), or repeating a pattern (like the green circle pendant with the jacket that has green circles on it, or the iguana maryjanes with fishnet hose), or really layering it on (multiple necklaces and brooches) to offset a men's style suit. (I took the jacket off in the photo.)

Now here's the other thing I'm doing differently this time... I know that all of you reading this are very stylish - I'd love to hear your thoughts! Is there anything you like as your personal style? Or, maybe something that you like on someone else, or like from magazines and want to wear? Other things I like to wear - or are looking forward to wearing are big belts, jumpuits, and really high heels, and I'm trying to figure out how I'll approach the return of the shoulder.. What about you? Love them? Hate them? I'll post your photos if you want to send them to me :)

4 comments:

  1. i like the layered necklaces. and pin... good combination of metals, styles and eras.

    i think mix and match allows you not only to develop your own style, but it also saves you from having to dress ironically or from appearing as if you stepped out of one of bbc america's "biggest spenders" specials. i'm not sure anyone can pull off jumpsuits otherwise. and don't get me started on the big shoulder. barbara carrera aside, it's just not something i'm happy to see again.
    -m

    ReplyDelete
  2. good point! if you're mixing and matching from your own closet, too, it's all going to be "you", just in a different order.. Re big shoulders, I bought a vintage Ungaro hot pink Dynasty blouse ages ago and it's just been sitting in my closet. It's so great and I have been waiting for the time to wear it. I think it's approaching...

    btw, you gave me one of the brooches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the arty photos! Did you take them yourself?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I did! Thanks!!! a couple are iphone ones, even..

    ReplyDelete