Sunday, May 10, 2009

Vacation Resolutions

I just got back to my apartment after a longer-than-expected vacation (thanks to the swine flu scare). My time away was fairly uneventful fashion-wise (though it must be notable that I didn't wear heels AT ALL for almost two and a half weeks!!!), but, as always, in between lying around reading and researching the local beverages and bars, I came up with a list of goals for my non-vacation life. It's not really fashion, but how much can I say about bathing suits? (hmmm, actually Miami may have provided me with something there.) Not for this time though - it's resolutions. So...

Resolution #1. Post a new blog: Check

Resolution #2. Buy less stuff: Actually, on vacation, I was pretty good on that one, relative to past trips. I picked up a couple of Mexican blouses in a Frida Kahlo inspired moment, though even in a peasant blouse I won't resemble her in the least given that my blonde eyebrows tend to disappear rather than combine forces as a unibrow. I'm very happy with my Mexican blouses - they're colorful, cheap, comfortable, and, given the extended nature of my travels, were the only clean tops I had for a while!

Resolution #3. Read more: Check. This goal setting is going really well, actually. I like making a list of resolutions that I've already met, so I can check them off and feel productive. I may start setting my New Year's resolutions on December 31 from now on! :) To be honest, though, reading more did require buying more stuff, including a kindle, which is absolutely fantastic - slim, light, and doesn't have pages that blow in the wind on the beach. It's almost perfect except for a few things that I'll mention in their feedback request and the fact that it requires the owner of the kindle to remember to bring the power cord. Ummmm...yeah.. Well, I managed to finish three books before it died. Fully charged, I think the kindle will be great for my work commute, though that does conflict with resolution #4.

Resolution #4: Ride my bike to work. I had so much fun on bikes this vacation that I'm inspired to change my New York commute from cab to bike. I biked to work when I lived in Frankfurt and felt so much more awake and refreshed (though starting work at 7:30am rather than 6am might have had something to do with it...) There's a lot written about biking fashion, but really, I plan just to wear flats and if my skirt is tricky, change into shorts or capri pants. Mine's a citified mountain bike, so no basket, but a backpack works. I do have my eye on my mom's old Gazelle bike from Holland (if she chooses to sell it). Maybe I could put a basket where the baby seat used to be (my seat) and put my clothes and shoes in that.. Easy! Where will I store it? Well, that and other issues answered with resolution #5.

Resolution #5: Work on my million dollar business idea. Interested investors welcome to contact me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment