Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Obsessed Until Possessed

Rapid onset obsession:

I don't know how it happened, exactly. I was at work, reading research and earnings reports, chatting to clients and colleagues, but my mind kept going back to those boots. And as I kept trying to focus my mind back on work, each time this little feeling built: "I HAVE to have those boots!". Everything about them was so right and all the other boots just weren't. Nothing else was going to equal them.

Hours later, I'm emailing photos to a friend, then taking a detour on the way home through Saks "just to look", and finally changing course and walking to 8th Ave for the subway down to Iris, the shop that emailed me about those boots in the first place.

How did I end up from being (relatively) good about saving money to spending a chunk on one pair of boots on the hottest day of the summer? What happened in my head, my chemistry that changed me from being completely satisfied with what I have at home (even thinking it's too much) to being distracted, really almost obsessed, and giving in to that little tantrum-throwing 3 year old in my head until I walked out the store with them, tried them on at home and thought: "yup, these are AWESOME!!"..?

I wish I knew. I could make a fortune bottling it...

The boots, by the way, are biker boots. And I think the biker-ness of them has something to do with the timing of this fixation (if not the fixation itself) since motorcycles have come up in a number of conversations recently. I don't have a motorcycle, but have always kind of wanted one (in the same way I have always kind of wanted to sky dive). I think Freud called that "Death Wish". But I'm also a little bit accident prone and am not ready to call it a day yet, so this is my compromise that keeps me alive.

In any case, I think my tantrum throwing 3 year old has great taste. These boots are totally my style and, as another indication of mid '90s retro fashion, remind me of the biker boots I used to clomp around in when I first moved to New York (though a lot nicer). If I see you on a day when the temperature is under 70 degrees, you will see me wear them. And this is probably how...

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those old biker boots! Yeah, I don't know what kind of chemical reaction takes place in our brains right before we give into some strong material desire, but I sure felt it when I bought my new car. And days before I was completely contented with the old one. Well, mostly contented....- M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think these are biker boots. Biker boots don't have heels. And they have a different kind of buckle. With the style and the amount of buckles they remind me more of 80s boots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you're right. they're not really biker boots, like ballerina flats aren't really for dancing ballet and pirate shirts aren't really for commandeering boats... so "biker inspired" then :)... kidding!

    I guess they are kind of '80s (Adam Ant? Madonna - again?) but they also remind me of the biker boots (biker inspired boots, I mean) that I had in B-school..

    ReplyDelete