Friday, July 31, 2009

Follow up on Trendy Frogs

A lot of you wrote me back and pointed to some examples of high profile frog design or historical reference. I have to admit - there's much more to this trend than I thought! And some of you even pointed to the next one on the horizon...

Hilary mentioned that the frogs reminded her of the Marc Jacob's bags (they do!) And Janet commented that "Anne Hathaway graced the cover of New York Magazine's Summer Issue with - guess what? - a frog on her shoulder! But this frog was not sporting a crown. (It must have been one of those ordinary "non-trendy" amphibians".

I noticed that Marc Jacobs' bags also did not have crowned frogs, so it could be that the non-crowned frogs are just as cool as the crowned ones in the US, which has never had a monarchy...?



The historical context comes from daphneduke: "Frogs were a big deal about 60 years ago too. Everything is cyclical. E v e r t h i n g .....! And shortly after, after was OWLS. Go figure..."

So, are we in for owls next? Maybe.. I like owls and found a whole owl "look" in Polyvore.com (and I like it!)



















I also like octopuses. They seem to be very popular with jewelry designers, industrial designers (USB ports), and artists, not to mention kids costume makers.. will this trend expand and move to grown-up clothes?




















Or.. Erika (who found the original frog trend poster) suggests maybe that it will be unicorns, especially the "super tough, rainbow-vomiting" variety...

1 comment:

  1. I know it's about time to let sleeping frogs lie, but it has been brought to my attention that we've already had owls (they started popping up in Williamsburg a few years ago, then Anthropologie last year, and the final death knell - one of the Real Housewives of New York is now selling owl jewelry). So, what next? Will it be wolves? (Ellen P pointed to the popularity of the howling wolf t-shirt and Doreen said it also fits with the Twilight movie).. Or foxes, as my mom suggests? Cute, quick witted, and a very nice color, I might add? Or badgers - like foxes with a mean streak - according to Charles..?

    Anyhow, I appreciate all the ideas. Maybe we should have a zoo design collective! ;)

    ReplyDelete